Late Friday night, I was surfing Facebook before I fell asleep, and found an ad for ComicCon. Now, there are a few secrets I will share with you:
- I haven’t seen as many movies as most people, especially before I got married. I’ve seen a few Star Wars movies through coercion, but by no means am I a SW fan.
- As you probably know (considering I’m a vacation planner with expertise in Disney), I’m a huuuuuuuge Disney nerd, and Belle is my all-time favorite princess…she’s a bookworm like me, has naturally brown hair (like I used to-don’t judge!), and she has a strong personality.
- I am obsessed with Deadpool, and have only recently started watching comic-related movies. DP may be my favorite ever non-animated character!
- I enjoy Harry Potter, especially reading the books, but am by no means obsessed.
- My childhood crush was Westley from The Princess Bride, and in spite of not being a huge fan of movies, I can quote almost every word of the entire movie!
- Our family does have a soft spot for Ray Park (Darth Maul)-more on that later…
- Like every kid in the 80’s, I loved The Goonies and Back to the Future.
So, in spite of never playing D&D, watching Game of Thrones/Walking Dead/most of what the general populace of attendees are into, I saw Ray Park, Cary Elwes (OMG, fangirling!), Sean Astin, and Lea Thompson as attendees, it was a no-brainer decision! Into an Uber, and downtown we headed, to a star-studded day of celebrity fun!
For starters, the attendees and stars were so nice! We were shocked at what a fun (and incredibly exhausting) day we had! We started out buying photos with the celebrities we wanted to lock in: Brianna Hildebrand (Negasonic Teenage Warhead from the Deadpool movies), who was incredibly sweet, Lea Thompson (so kind-she spent a good amount of time chatting with us, and looks just as amazing as she did in the 80s), and Ray Park (I’ll get to that…)
Between the schedule, we got to meet Cary Elwes-understand, that was my 12-year old me’s fantasy! And of course, he shared the “As you wish”, which *may* have made me wildly weak in the knees! And to entertain T: ” Because unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent.” He was thrilled that G saw a throwback cinema version of The Princess Bride, which I will forever have ranked in my All Time Top 5!
We also met Charles Martinet, the voice of all of the Mario characters, and he showcased all of them, and signed a super cool photo for G with all of the character famous lines! As a huge SpongeBob fan, G went nuts to meet Rodger Bumpass, the voice of Squidward! Having recently seen the Broadway version, it was fun for all of us! Jim Cummings, the voice of Darkwing Duck, and a variety of Winnie the Pooh characters, was incredibly endearing as well.
For me, the guys were patient to let me chat with Paige O’Hara, the lovely and charming voice of Belle in Beauty and the Beast! We chatted about the movie quite a while, and she may have let us know about her participation in the upcoming Wreck-It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet (which we can’t wait to see!)
Meeting Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) was fun for all! Sean Astin was so incredibly sweet, and loved G! He shared some special stories about filming The Goonies, and you can just tell that he is an incredible dad and all-around sweetheart!
Finally, here is the Ray Park story…
In 2013, G was chosen as the (significantly) youngest participant during Disney’s Star Wars Weekends by a number of cast members to perform with a group of kids for “Visit to the Maul”, Ray Park’s audience-performance show. He was 4, and literally did not follow one direction, to the amusement of all involved, including Ray! As a family, we were blown away by his spectacular martial arts abilities, which began G in many years of martial arts training. Fast forward 5 years, we meet him again and after showing him a video of the performance….he remembered G! Of anything that might have happened, that was pure Disney Magic at its finest! While I may never be a huge Star Wars follower, I will be a fan of Mr. Park’s for life!
By the time we made our way home, after about 7 hours (and a really good milkshake!), I fell asleep in the Uber (and might have been snoring-oops!) and all of us hit the hay by 8:30. What a fun day!
For travel arrangements, feel free to reach out! After all, ComicCon is only once a year. Sometimes, we all need to get away! firstname.lastname@example.org.